Do you put your toilet paper roll Over or Under?
It’s a crazy question but always sparks lively debate because nearly everyone has an opinion on the proper way to situate your toilet paper roll. There have even been sociological and marketing studies on this human idiosyncrasy.
Interestingly enough, in every study ever published on toilet paper orientation, the Overs came out on top, with as much as 70% of participants preferring the loose end of the roll hanging over, towards the user.
Two inventors even came up with solutions in the battle for “proper” toilet paper roll orientation. Both the Tilt-a-roll and T.P. Swivel offer holders that can spin and angle, orientating the toilet paper roll based on the current user’s preference.
We’ve made a short list of reasons why you might choose either orientation:
• Majority rules
• More hygienic—less risk of hand contact with germs on the wall or cabinet
• Simpler to get a visual on the loose end
• Patterned toilet paper is nearly always oriented to be viewed this way
• More difficult for toddlers or pets to unravel this way
• Tidier looking with the loose end hidden from view
• Less likely to unravel in toilets that move, such as those in RVs or mobile homes
Now for the next great debate: toilet seat Up or Down?