It’s a common story. You have been thinking about your wedding since pigtails and princess dresses. But your fiancé, not so much. Now that the planning is underway and vendor meetings fill up your weekends, you may find that the process isn’t quite as blissful as you imagined. Turns out, he has more ideas for your wedding day than you thought!
- Your guest list: Are you having trouble finalizing your guest list? How many people are you planning to invite? Kids or no kids?
- Budget: Are you footing the bill, or do you have help from family? Are you finding it hard to agree on a final sum?
Shop around before you commit to any one vendor and consider DIY projects where you can. If you keep track of your estimates and organize your spending, you may not feel so guilty spending $1,000 more on the perfect dress!
- Other Details: Are you are dreaming of a beach band and your fiancé prefers a DJ? Perhaps you want a table for two at your reception and plans to include the wedding party. Who wins?
Listen and Compromise
It is important to remember that his opinion is just as important. You may be stressed over the planning and arranging most of your meetings but sharing this day and sticking together is what brings smiles to the alter.
- Learn how to table certain topics: If there is one detail that you can’t seem to agree on, take your time with the final decision. Be sure to fully listen to his ideas and allow plenty of time to consider his side. It is possible that as the planning progresses, you may find that his idea works better than you thought!
- Decide if it is worth the argument: If your fiancé has an idea that you are not on board with, decide if it is truly worth the fight. In the grand scheme of things, maybe it’s not really that big of a deal.
- Find a happy medium: The two of you are about to spend your lives together as one, compromising and making decisions. This is the best time to start. You fell in love with him for a reason, and you want his ideas to take part in this important day. Your wedding should represent both of you!