You want to look and feel like a princess on your wedding day, and the endless available options can make any bride feel just a little overwhelmed. Here are a few elements to keep in mind when shopping for the perfect dress.
Select a dress that fits appropriately with the style of your wedding. If you are planning a beach wedding, chose an option that reflects a more casual tone. A long evening gown with gloves to match may not flow very well in the sand and sunshine. If you are hosting an evening ballroom reception and a church ceremony, this is where a stunning evening gown can wow the crowd.
Admiring a gown displayed on a mannequin does not reflect exactly how it will look on you. We are all shaped differently. While some choices look stunning with your figure, others may not. Consider your body type and use this guide to help with the selection process.
- Curvy: Brides with plenty of curves may want to choose a style that isn’t too snug. Accentuate a natural shape with a dress that is flowing and comfortable.
- Straight-Lined: These brides can look for a dress that creates curves. A tighter fit in some areas is the key to shaping a straight figure to look its best.
- Tall: A dress with a lower waist line that creates a curve looks exquisite on a taller bride.
- Short: Higher waist-line or A-line dresses can lengthen a petite bride. In addition, a gown flowing to the ground with some accents up top can help create a taller look.
Once you know the style and shape of the dress you need, it is crucial to keep comfort in mind. You want to be at ease making vows at the alter and letting loose at your reception. When you try on the perfect dress, walk around for a while. Sit, stand, and even dance in the gown if you can get away with it. An extra 30 minutes can make all the difference when determining if your selection will get you through an entire evening. Most importantly, make sure you have room to add appetizers and dinner in the mix.
Be sure to take a few trusted friends and family along and be willing to accept their honest feedback. Together you can find the perfect gown while having lots of fun!
Congratulations on your wedding! If you have finally tied the knot, you are probably on Cloud 9 and we share in your excitement. But as you slowly reconnect with your daily life, you may notice your wedding gown displayed beautifully in your closet. We can help you decide what to do with it from here.
If you find it hard to part with your dress, we understand. It’s selection, fitting, and debut were a huge part of your wedding day. But, leaving it alone to hang in the closet is not best for the fabric. The first thing you need to do is find a trusting cleaner to remove any stains. Then, move on with its preservation. Many cleaners can help with this task, but you can also accomplish this at home by carefully folding your gown and placing it in an air tight box and non-acid tissue paper. Store the box containing your dress in a climate controlled environment. Perhaps, under a bed or a closet shelf is a safe space.
Now that your gown is properly stored, here are some reasons you may be glad to keep it close.
- A perfect keepsake. Your wedding dress can help bring back the best memories of the day you made your wedding vows. You may even want to try it on again one day!
- Pass it down. Some mothers are delighted to see a daughter, granddaughter, or niece get married in their very own wedding gown.
- Recycle it. You can use your wedding dress in the future to make christening gowns for your children, pillows for special occasions, or even a baby bonnet.
- Sell it. Weddings can be costly. But, one way to replenish your costs is to consign your wedding gown. Many brides have found beautiful hand me down dresses and a great price.
Donating your dress is another option if you do not have the space or desire to store it. There are some wonderful organizations that are happy to take it off your hands and share it with brides short of resources to purchase a new one. Here are a few terrific options.
- Brides Across America (BAA) is a non-profit organization that gifts gowns to military families & first responders. Learn about BAA here.
- Angel Gowns sews wedding dresses into gowns for babies who are unable to come home from the hospital after birth. The gowns are a beautiful way to pay tribute to the infants and families at an incredibly challenging time. Learn about donating to the Angel Gown programs here.
- Wish Upon a Wedding helps support brides with life-threatening illnesses make their special wedding wishes come true. Through this charity, brides can have an intimate wedding in a beautiful gown without the stress and worry of extra costs or fittings. Here is how you can help donate to Wish Upon a Wedding.
Even if you can’t decide right away what the best option is for your wedding gown, in time you will be able to make the right decision.